Broadcast: 8th August 2015
Presenter: Theo Kalogeracos
Fast food does not necessarily mean bad food; Theo makes a quick and easy pasta using sardines.
Theo’s Fremantle Sardine Pasta
- 1 pack of spaghetti (Feeds 4 people)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup of Fremantle sardines (Marinated and sliced in half, about a bite size)
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salted baby capers
- 1 cup of olives deseeded and cut in half
- 2 punets of cherry tomatoes, cut in half. (If large cherry tomatoes, cut into ¼ )
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of fresh red chili’s (If no read chili’s, you can use dried chili’).
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley.
- 1 lemon cut in half.
1) Start with a big pot of water with a handful of salt added, put the stove on high with a lid on.
2) When the water comes to boil, take off the lid and add your spaghetti, stir, set your timer as it says on the packet and place the lid back on for a minute just to bring the water up to boiling again.
3) Take the lid off and stir, continue to go back to pot and stir to stop the pasta from sticking together while you prepare your other ingredients.
4) While your pasta is boiling, prepare your other ingredients if they have not been sliced correctly as seen in ingredients list.
5) When the timer goes off, strain the pasta, as the pasta is straining, using the same pot you boiled the pasta in add your; Sardines, Capers, Olives, Cherry Tomatoes, Oregano and chilli’s.
6) Add pasta back to the pot, put the pot back on the same burner you had it on when you were boiling the water but do not turn on, the residual heat from the burner and pot us enough to heat up all the ingredients.
7) Mix all through until it all ingredients are evenly mixed through the pasta, add parsley and squeeze in the lemon juice Served ASAP.
8) Serve with salt and pepper on the side at the table to let your guests add it to their taste, the sardines and capers are salty so it does not need extra salt.