Broadcast: 29th August 2015
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Ask anyone who loves the finest seafood in another country what is Australia’s finest seafood and it’s highly likely they will say The Western Spiny Rock lobster. And the home of this delicacy has to be the Abrolhos Islands believed to produce as much as 50% of the total number of new lobster that are fished all along the south coast.
- The Abrolhos Islands are a carefully managed as a fishery which is vital to its long-term sustainability and that's why the role the Geraldton Fishermen’s Cooperative plays is so important.
- The co-op is owned by the men who fish the waters and to understand what they go through to supply us with this world class seafood, we have traveled north to Geraldton, jumped on a flight with Shine Aviation and then jumped onto a cray boat that is fishing out on the Abrolhos reefs.
- Pot-by-pot each lobster is carefully taken out, checked and either released or added to crates ready for transfer to the Abrolhos processing plant before heading overseas.
- Once pulled, the pots are then re-baited and set back into position for the next catch. To ensure top quality, the catch is held under deck in live holding containers.
- Conservation is key to the Geraldton Fisherman’s Co operative’s practices. All measures are taken into account to maintain the environment and maintain stocks for future generations. The GFC were also the first Fishery to achieve marine stewardship council accreditation.
Contact: +61 8 9965 9000