Broadcast: 29th August 2015
Cuttlefish Pasta (Serves 4)
- 500g Barilla No7
- 600g small whole cuttlefish (Have your fishmonger clean them, taking off the skin and keeping the ink bag if 1 fish separate).
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 400ml tomato Provencal
- Sprig of mint & basil
- 100ml grappa or brandy or white wine splash wine
- Chili (Optional)
- 1 small onion (Chopped fine)
- Splash EVOO
1) In a deep nonstick fry pan, add oil, garlic onion, mint, basil and sauté for 1 minute on medium heat.
2) When the onion has soften, add cuttlefish (Which you have to cut into 4cm strips) and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3) Add wine, tomato, salt and pepper to taste.
4) Now carefully break the cuttlefish ink bag into the sauce, stir well and then simmer for 20 minutes, continually stirring on low heat.
5) In a separate pot, boil pasta al dente, now remove pasta from boiling water and add the cuttlefish fry pan, mix well and serve immediately with or without grated Pecorino cheese.
Tips before adding pasta to sauce:
- Better to make more sauce than less
- If sauce is too thick, add more wine or water
- If sauce is too running, add grated cheese