Story – Hill’s Drive Experience
Airdate: Ep 2, 5 May 2019
Presenter – Stuart Laws
Take a drive from the city to the hills; hopping between great spots along the way! Stuart takes a leisurely drive out to the Perth hills, stopping at some hidden gems you’re sure to love.
- Only 35 minutes from the Perth CBD is the Core Cider House, with vast orchards of trees that have been growing for four generations. Along with their stunning views, Core Cider produces their cider in house, picking straight from their 8,000 trees over 20 acres.
- Not only does Core Cider grow different varieties of apples, but they also grow pears and plums, lemons and limes, and more. Core Cider boasts a beautiful countryside kitchen where they use their own fresh produce from the orchard – straight from orchard to kitchen to plate!
- Bickley Valley Fresh is another hills spot to hit on your drive: a local fruit and produce farm that opens its doors to the public on Fridays and Saturdays to buy fresh straight from the farmer. They also supply local grocers, restaurants and vineyards in the Kalamunda area.
- Brookside Vineyard is a piece of paradise in the hills – one of WA’s smallest boutique grape producers. Sitting on a century old property, Brookside has a restaurant and cellar door similar to the likes of the Provence region in France.
- If you like a good Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay and modern-Australian meets Mediterranean food, this hills winery is a must-stop!
- Definitely pop by Carmel Cider Co and try some of their famous handcrafted apple and pear ciders. Or schedule a visit for one of their pop-up events throughout the year.
- One of the uniquely great aspects of Carmel Cider is their use of the late-picked apple, increasing sweetness and reducing acidity. And don’t forget to ask about their new released: pear-infused spirit!