Story: Fact v Fiction: Is Acai a Superfruit?
Airdate: Ep 3, 12 May 2019
Presenter: Dr Shy Vishnumohan
Heard about Acai? We bet you have! Dr Shy shares her insights on this new health trend and how eating an apple might actually be better for you!
- Acai has been popping up everywhere on the wellness scene with a plethora of different products on the market, including acai bowls on your favourite café’s breakfast menu.
- Acai is a dark purple fruit, harvested from the acai palm found in the Amazon rainforest. It tastes similar to a raspberry with a dark chocolate aftertaste!
- Acai has been marketed as a ‘superfood’ with an unparalleled level of antioxidants -which mop up the free radicals in the body which could otherwise damage the cells.
- While acai is good for you, a study compared it with an apple and findings showed that acai did not contain more antioxidants than an apple
- Support your local WA farmers and buy apples for your antioxidant needs. Guess what they say is true, an apple a day keeps the doctor away!