Story: The Lobster Shack
Airdate: Ep 4, 19 May 2019
Presenter: Peter Manifis
Did you know, the Western Rock Lobster is WA’s most valuable fishery? Peter heads north to Cervantes to the Lobster Shack and finds out all about the first fishery to be named ecologically sustainable.
- Bringing in an estimated 400 million AUD, the rock lobster is just one of many fish caught off our beautiful western shores.
- Cervantes has been home to lobster fisheries since the 1960’s with many fishermen living beachside on the daily hunt for the elusive rock lobster.
- The Shack Attack, takes you out on the ultimate seafood adventure with expert skippers, hunting for your very own rock lobster.
- The Lobster Shack started in 1966 as a family fishing business, eventually settling in Cervantes and growing into the thriving business it is today.
- The shack now boasts a beautiful restaurant that seats about 500 people and does nearly 1200 meals per day!
- Lobster Shack is not only a restaurant but also has boat tours, pot pulling tour or charter tour, or a factory tour where you can learn about the different stages of cray fishing, from catching to export!
- You can even take a selfie with a live cray if you’re keen!
- The Lobster Shack also supplies other WA restaurants and the east coast, sharing our delicious rock lobster with our neighbours!
- Not only that, but the Lobster Shack also exports large quantities of live crayfish overseas, particularly to China! Every day, a couple deliveries of our crays land in China.
- This truly is a destination to add to your list. A one-of-a-kind operation just 2 hours north of Perth. With so much to do and see you’ll build up quite the appetite for of the Lobster Shacks delicious feeds.
- The Lobster Shack is a true WA treasure, offering up the freshest and best seafood found just off our coral coast.