Airdate: Ep 5, 26 May 2019
Presenter: Pete Manifis
If you’d like to try your luck at catching some squid, Pete has a great spot. It’s only 5 minutes out of Fremantle and they’re much easier to catch than you think!
- There are many spots in Cockburn Sound to catch a squid or two.
- Squid love to hang out in seaweed beds between 2 and 10 metres underwater during minimal swell and there are plenty of these seaweed banks just 5 minutes off the coast of Fremantle.
- All you need is a fine braid line and a squid jig and you’re ready to go!
- Squids typically only live for around a year but are in abundance just off our local shores.
- There is no size limit when squidding, so you can keep whatever you catch without having to measure as you go!
- Cleaning a squid is relatively easy: remove the head and wings, run your fingers around the squid, cut it open and scrape out the inners.
- When you remove the tentacles, try washing them with salt water to lock in that natural salty flavour!
- Straight from ocean-to-plate you can cook your catch right on the BBQ in a simple yet delicious way.
- Pete recommends cooking it with some olive oil and turning with tongs for about 30 seconds to a minute. For a dressing, you can add chilli, garlic and parsley to the squid while it’s still on the hotplate and toss through. Take off the heat and add some fresh lemon juice and a little more extra virgin olive oil.
- Fancy getting out there yourself? Jazz Charters runs fishing trips right from Fremantle. Get in touch with them via their website to book in your day on the water.