Story: Fact v Fiction – Are Alternative Meats Healthier?
Airdate: Ep 7, 9 June 2019
Presenter: Shy Vishnumohan
Fact of the day: Vegetarianism and Veganism are the most googled diets in Australia! Dr Shy gives you some insight, if you’re like many Aussies and thinking of making the switch!
- The food industry is responding to this surge in alternative diets by creating plant-based meat options, that are getting a lot of attention.
- These alternative meats boast tasting and looking like the real meat versions, but the real question is: are they healthier?
- It’s wonderful to see so many of these options becoming accessible and affordable, and not only that but reducing meat consumption is good for your health and good for the planet!
- You may hear a lot of varying opinions on diets, but one thing most nutritionists can agree on? Eating minimally processed foods is good for you.
- Dr Shy warns that the trouble with plant-based products is they can contain up to 20 or 30 ingredients.
- They can be loaded with additives as it’s not easy to replicate the taste and look of a quality steak or beef burger.
- Some studies show that eating these additives can harm the gut biome, triggering inflammation!
- So, what do you do? Dr Shy says, check the label first! It’s great if you’re keen to switch to vegetarianism or veganism, but don’t necessarily think they are healthier for you.
- We still need research to determine if the plant-based options are healthier than a good ol’ fashion cut of quality meat.