Story: Mount Barker Chicken Saltimbocca with Gingin Orange Sauce
Airdate: Ep 9, 30 June 2019
Presenter: Russell Blaikie
Ingredients for 4 serves
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 sage leaves
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- Plain Lupin flour (can be substituted with plain flour)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthways, so result is two thin pieces of breast
- Cut each piece of breast into two, and bat out slightly to flatten, you will have 8 thin pieces of breast.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place 1 sage leaf on each breast piece.
- Fold the breast in half and place on top of prosciutto, place another sage leaf on top of the breast, then roll the breast in prosciutto. Press the prosciutto to help it adhere to the chicken.
- Dust the chicken/prosciutto rolls with lupin flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and place the breasts in so that the sage leaf is facing downwards.
- Cook over until nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken, add a tablespoon butter to the pan and cook about 1 minute longer. Transfer the chicken to a plate; repeat with the remaining chicken. Pour off any fat and wipe out the pan.
- Pour the wine into the frypan and cook over high heat until reduced by ¾. Add the juice and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half again, about 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the remainder of the butter and orange zest and simmer over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the chicken to serving plates, pour over a little of the sauce and serve immediately with your favourite salad!
Fresh Produce Supplied by: