Story: Stuart’s Singaporean Chilli Crab
Airdate: Ep 10, 7 July 2019
Presenter: Stuart Laws
Feeling like a winter warmer with a kick? These Singaporean Chilli Crabs will warm the cockles of your heart. Stuart shows you how to cook up this delicious dish with in-season ingredients!
2 x Blue Manna Crabs
125mls x Peanut Oil
1 knob of fresh ginger
3 x cloves of fresh garlic
60gm Sliced red chillies
2 x sliced spring onions
60mls x Tomato Sauce
60mls x Chilli Sauce
1tbsp x Coconut Sugar
1tbsp x Light Soy Sauce
1 x Egg, lightly beaten
- Remove the shells from the crabs and discard the fibrous tissue under the shell.
- Divide each crab into four portions, breaking each body in half and separating the claws from the body, leaving the legs attached.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large heavy-based frying pan over medium–high heat.
- Add the crab pieces and cook, turning regularly, until they change colour on all sides. Remove from the wok and put to one side.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the ginger, garlic and chilli, stirring constantly, until they are cooked but not brown then add the spring onion.
- Mix together the tomato and chilli sauces, sugar, soy sauce and salt
- Add the sauce to the wok and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, return the crab pieces to the wok and allow to simmer in the sauce for 3 minutes, adding a little water if the sauce reduces too much
- Fold through the beaten egg.
- Serve with white rice