Segment: Olive Farm Wines
Presenter: Stuart Laws
Air Date: 3rd November 2019
Just a 30-minute drive from the Perth CBD, Olive Farm wines is the home to some fantastic cheese and wine.
- Olive Farm Wines is a family business, owned and run by the Yurisich family since 1933.
- The company was started by Anthony Yurisich’s great grandfather, who emigrated to Australia in the early 1900s. He went out to Kalgoorlie to find gold, and though he didn’t find any, he was able to purchase the Olive Farm lands.
- Farming practices have changed throughout the years – while there used to be a lot of ploughing and cultivating, recent research has shown that the less of this the better. Olive Farm Wines employ environmentally friendly practices, such as under vine mulching and mowing instead of cultivating.
- This is shaping up to be an excellent wine season – the nice wet winter filled the soil with water, and the spring is bringing a good amount of sun.
- Olive Farm Wine’s cellar door takes tasting to a whole new level, focusing on the customer experience. There are tastings offered from the bar, and the dispenser tank, Frank the Tank, has a system where wines are preserved perfectly.
- For cheese fans, the Cheese Barrel has been in the area for 7 years. They aim to provide a wonderful experience for guests, letting them enjoy their cheese with the wines from across the road.