Segment: Matt’s Pumpkin Soup
Presenter: Caroline Taylor
Air Date: 15th December 2019
Matt Hale’s recipe from the charity book “A Roast to Remember”, which raises money to help people affected by dementia in WA. Delicious and for a worthy cause!
- 1kg pumpkin
- 1 large onion
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- Dash of cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Trim pumpkin and cut into 2-3cm pieces. Lay it across a tray lined with baking paper and drizzle some oil on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for approximately 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Meanwhile, trim and chop the onion finely.
- Heat some olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add onion and garlic and fry until soft and starting to brown a little.
- Take the onion off the heat until the pumpkin is ready. Once it’s ready, add it to the saucepan along with the vegetable stock and bring to the boil with a lid on.
- As soon as the soup boils, turn the heat down to simmer.
- Use a potato masher to break the pumpkin mixture down into a smooth soup.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add a dash of cream just before serving.
- Add a little pinch of cayenne pepper if you like.
- Serve with crusty fresh bread or grilled garlic bread.