Story: Foni’s Tipples: Riesling
Presenter: Foni Pollitt
Air Date: 18th October 2020
Riesling is a refreshingly crispy and fruity white wine that is perfect for summer.
- Riesling’s history in Australia can be traced as far back as the first fleet. The English most likely got it from Germany, which has the most Riesling plantings in the world.
- Today, Australia comes a close second to Germany. Some of our regions are reaching international standards, like Clare Valley and Eden Valley in South Australia.
- Riesling loves a cooler climate, no matter if it is high in altitude or close to the coast.
- When it’s young, it’s all about the fruit expression. You get fruit clusters, like limes and lemons, and floral notes, like orange blossom.
- Riesling also ages very well. When it’s older, you get wax, lanolin and preserved lemons.
- In WA, the best Riesling can be found in the Great Southern region.
- Food matching Riesling is difficult because it can range from bone-dry to semi-sweet.
- Mayfair Lane Pub and Dining Room have mostly bone-dry Rieslings, which go well with their tuna niçoise salad.