Story: Is Chocolate Good For You?
Presenter: Julie Meek
Air Date: 18th October 2020
Julies shares some of the surprising health benefits associated with one of the most beloved foods in the world.
- Chocolate and any associated products are made beans of the Theobroma cacao tree. This highly valuable tree produces pods that contain around 20 to 60 beans.
- Chocolate has shown to have numerous health benefits. It increases antioxidant activity and reduces blood pressure, inflammation, LDL cholesterol and risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Cacao refers to any of the food products derived from the cacao bean that have remained raw. This includes cacao nibs and cacao powder.
- Cocoa powder is commonly used in baking and looks very similar to cacao.
- Research shows that raw cacao is a rich source of flavonoids, monounsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals.
- Dark chocolate has a higher cacao content than milk chocolate. Its flavonoid content is dependent on the percentage of cacao used and how it is manufactured.
- Chocolate is high in calories and fat, but if you are eating a balanced diet and leading a healthy lifestyle then a little bit every now and then is okay.