Story: Health Tip – Akoya Oysters
Presenter: Julie Meek
Air Date: 5September 2021
Eating fresh seafood not only gives you that instant sensation of enjoying a fresh oceanbreeze but provides a delicious health boost, all at the same time. Julie reveals the hidden health secrets of oysters!
- Oysters are the richest natural source of zinc. Zinc is essential for reproductive growth and development.
- Our daily requirement for zinc is 12mg and 1 dozen oysters contain 79mg.
- One dozen oysters contain close to 79mg of zinc while the closest non-seafood competitor is liver (100 grams) at 7 mg.
- One-third of the global population is at risk of zinc deficiency.
- Oysters are a excellent source of omega-3 fats and protein.
- Other sources of zinc include seafood, lean meat, and poultry.