Story: Cumin-Spiced Lamb Skewers with Yogurt Flatbread
Episode: Episode 2
Presenter: Brendan Pang
Air Date: 24th April 2022
Lamb Cooking Segment, brought to you by IGA Supermarkets, featuring Amelia Park and South Fremantle IGA.
Recipe: Cumin-Spiced Lamb Skewers (Xinjiang-style) with Yogurt Flatbread
- 1kg lamb shoulder.
- 1 x red onion, cut into thick slices.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce.
- 2 tsp cornstarch.
- 1 tsp salt.
- ½ tsp caster sugar.
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds.
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds.
- 3 tsp ground cumin seeds, plus extra.
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, plus extra.
- 1/4 tsp ground, Sichuan peppercorn. (optional)
- A couple of each – small, medium and large mixing bowls
- A few spoons (dessert and tablespoons)
- A few forks
- Chopping board
- Measuring spoons
- Barbecue, grill or griddle pan for skewers
- Medium non-stick pan for flat bread
- Baking paper
- Mortar and pestle
- To prepare the lamb, debone and cut into 2.5cm cubes. Place lamb cubes into a bowl along with all ingredients for the marinade and mix until well combined. Cover and leave refrigerated to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours (ideally overnight).
- Soak bamboo skewers for 30 mins then working with one skewer at a time, thread lamb cubes and red onion closely onto them. Continue until all lamb has been threaded. Grill skewers, turning frequently until the lamb becomes brown and lightly charred on all surfaces. Sprinkle with additional ground cumin and chili powder (optional) in this process.
- 250g Greek yogurt.
- 250g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting.
- Olive oil, for rolling out.
- Mix the Greek yogurt and flour together in a large bowl, then leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions and heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Using 2 sheets of baking paper and a little olive oil, place a portion of dough in between and roll out to make a flatbread.
- Cook the flatbread for 30 – 60 seconds on both sides until golden brown. Transfer to a plate when cooked and repeat the process.
To serve/Plate up:
- Watercress or rocket