Story: Akoya with Brendan Pratt
Episode: Episode 2
Presenter: Georgia Moore
Air Date: 24th April 2022
- The pristine waters around the West Australian coastline are the perfect location to grow our Akoya – a seafood treasure native to WA.
- They are delicious cured, cooked or raw and can be complemented by a multitude of other flavors. It boasts a delicate and tender texture with a fresh ocean taste.
- Growing on dropper lines that create a reef-like home for all manner of marine life - similar to mussels - Akoya are deep water animals that are actually quite social.
- They like to grow together, which is why you find them grouped together as you pull them out of the water.
- The Leeuwin Coast Akoya are snap frozen as soon as they are harvested to ensure we lock in optimal freshness and quality.
- This enables our highly skilled farm team to always harvest the Akoya when they are in peak condition
- They harvest their Akoya at around 15 months of growth to allow for the optimal, most delicious taste and texture.
- Leeuwin Coast has made a long-term business-wide commitment to reduce carbon emissions contributing to carbon neutrality.
- They are the first aquaculture company within Australia to produce officially certified carbon neutral aquaculture products.
- This means you can enjoy 100% of the taste with zero guilt.
Recipe: smoked Akoya
- Toast the bread.
- Put the akoya oysters into the hibachi grill.
- Add XO Sauce over the oysters.
- Add your smoked cream over the toasted bread.
- Take your oysters out and squeeze lemon over.
- Layer over the oysters over the toasted bread.
For more information, please visit: