Factsheets Ep 4
Story: Market City
Airdate: Ep 4, 19 May 2019
Presenter: Russell Blaikie
Ever wondered how your fruit and veg get from the farmer to your local store? Russell heads to Market City in Canning Vale, the central hub for West Australian wholefood fresh produce.
- Sitting on an impressive 57 hectares, the markets are open daily and sell to over 400 buyers, starting at 6am.
- The fruit you bought today, most likely came from these markets, where you can guarantee you’re supporting local producers.
- The markets house fruit and vegetables from all over our great state, including the Southern Forests. The Southern Forests produces over 50 varieties of fruit and vegetables.
- Growers in Manjimup and surrounding areas seasonally produce 70% of Australia’s avocados, 90% of WA’s broccoli, and 50% of WA’s apples!
- With some of the best growing conditions in the world, the Southern Forests are able to produce fruit and veg 365 days of the year.
- Growers deliver to the markets each night ensuring the freshest and best are on offer for the following day’s buyers!
- The Gascoyne region is another plush landscape providing WA with plenty of our daily produce including tomatoes, capsicums, bananas, rockmelons and mangoes.
- The growers in this region will pick the fruit and vegetables, cool it, wash it & pack it, and the markets will receive it the following day. Which means, it gets from farm to your kitchen in just 2 days!
- The quality of the fruit and vegetables from WA are second-to-none thanks to the knowledge and care of our growers, along with the perfect conditions for growing.
- Keep an eye for West Australian produce at your local grocer to guarantee the freshest produce going.
- You can go and visit the markets every weekend. Saturdays you can pick up a fruit and veg bargain from one of the wholesalers and Sundays offer a vibrant community market right next door.
- Why not make a day of it and have lunch at the tavern on-site? They use only locally sourced produce on their menu!