Story: The Fruit Corner
Airdate: Ep 6, 2 June 2019
Presenter: Peter Manifis
Did you know that you Autumn is the perfect time to get your WA apples? And you don’t need to go to the shop, you can get them directly from the source. Pete heads to the Fruit Corner in Pickering Brook, where they let you pick your own apples, straight from the tree.
- Is there anything better than a fresh, crisp, crunchy apple? We think not!
- Between late summer and early winter, you can head to The Fruit Corner in Pickering Brook where they let you pick your apples straight from the orchards.
- An apple picked straight from the tree, retains its sweetness. Try putting it in a crumble, you won’t need any extra sugar!
- The fruit corner has been family owned for nearly 70 years, travelling all the way from Sicily, planting their first trees right here in the Perth Hills in 1953.
- Still run by the family, you can have a great chat with Bernadine and her parents, learning all about the orchards and the history as you walk around picking their lovingly grown apples.
They have varieties from Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Sundowners and Pink Ladies; suiting all types of apple taste-buds.
- It’s not just apples they grow either! You can also pick chilli’s straight from the plant as well as: spaghetti squash, butternut pumpkin, capsicum, paprika, eggplant and cherry tomato!
- They also bring in other local grown produce from their neighbours and sell them in their farm shop, located on-site.
- Along with their own produce, you can buy: pears, avocado, passionfruit and other fruit and veg.
- What’s the secret to their delicious apples? They leave them on the tree a bit longer to up the sweetness and down the acidity.
- This is the perfect day-out for the whole family: really getting the fully experience of seeing where your food comes from. Great for kids and adults, alike.
- A bit pressed for time? Pop into their farm shop, open daily for all your WA apple needs! Check out their Facebook page for updates and opening times.
- Try making Pete’s favourite apple fennel salad, below. It’s a delicious recipe made even better by the Fruit Corner apples.