Story: Riki Kaspi’s Food Journey: Spanakopita
Presenter: Riki Kaspi
Air Date: 4th October 2020
Phyllo (Filo) Pastry
Roasted pine nuts
- Melt your butter and olive oil in the pan – melting them together will help keep the butter from burning.
- Heat the pan up and add your salt. Then add your garlic and nutmeg.
- Place your spinach in the pan and cook until wilted. Then turn off the stove – your spinach needs to be cold before adding the cheeses.
- Crumble your fetta then place in a bowl. Add the parmesan and ricotta to bring it together. Then add your roasted pine nuts.
- Chop your dill finely and then place it in the bowl.
- If your spinach is too wet, make sure to strain before adding to the bowl.
- Take your pastry out of the plastic at the last minute. Take 1 sheet, brush with melted butter. Add another 3 other layers, brushing each with butter. Put in your spinach and cheese mix.
- Roll the pastry into a snail shape to fill your tray. Add your seeds and then place in the oven.
- Once it’s ready, drizzle with olive oil.