Presenter: Theo Kalogeracos
Air Date: 19 September 2021
On his hunt for Perth’s best small bar, Theo takes us to a hidden bar in Freo renowned for its well-designed décor and history.
- Dating back to 1902, The Old Synagogue was once Western Australians first synagogue. Located on the corner of South Terrace and Parry street, services continued until 1910, after which it was closed permanently with a majority of the Jewish population moving to Perth.
- The Old Synagogue opened to the public in November 2019.
- The Old Synagogue is made up of 4 different venues, all unique and exciting in their own way. There is a hip beer garden called The Arbor, a spectacular view over the Cappuccino strip from Mr. Chapple and a world-class Asian restaurant in Tonic & Ginger.
- Hidden deep below the Old Synagogue, L’Chaim is an intimate cocktail bar full of old-world charm.
- The word L’Chaim in Hebrew is a toast meaning ‘to life’ and is best explained as the Jewish equivalent of the Aussie ‘cheers’. Hidden deep below the Fremantle Synagogue, L’Chaim is an intimate cocktail bar full of old-world charm.
- The current feature cocktail is the ‘Smoked Sazerac Old Fashioned 28’ - Rye whiskey, Antica Formula, Peychauds bitters, cherry syrup, caramelised blood orange, maraschino cherry, clear rocked ice - smoked in our chamber of secrets with Applewood chips.
- Hungry guests can feast away on one of two L’chaim serve share platters